Unusual Fact: After Spanish the second most spoken language is Italian
Well this was the perfect meal to has while ex-tropical cyclone Oswald is ripping trees out of the ground around us! This was a very nice very gluggy vegetable, fruit and meat stew. It was nice because the fruit put in a sweetness and it was quite quick to put together. The capsicum and tomatoes melted away to almost nothing. I kept it boiling away for about another 2 hours after it said to take it off the heat and that made the meat really tender.
Angus: 7 – he says that there was too many vegetables
Carbonada Criolla (Stew with Meat, Vegetables, and Fruit)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds of stewing beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped thick
- 1 green pepper, chopped thick
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups canned chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ears of corn, cut into 1-inch widths (or use 2 cups of frozen corn)
- 2 zucchini, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 2 peaches in ½-inch pieces
- 2 pears in ½-inch pieces
- Heat oil in heavy pot.
- Brown beef in separate batches so that all of it gets cooked. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In that same pot, cook tomatoes, pepper, onion, and garlic until soft.
- Add bay leaves, oregano, and chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Return beef to the pot, and add potatoes and sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and corn. Simmer 10 more minutes, or until vegetables are almost soft, then add the peaches and pears.
- Cook 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.