Unusual Fact: The only animals on the American Samoan islands are rats, snakes and a few birds
This week was American Samoa. I was a little nervous when it came to eating this dish. In the end it came clean. We served the beef and spinach with rice so that the rice soaked up all the coconut juice. It took me a while to find a dish from American Samoa with ingredients that I could purchase from Coles. Here it is and I hope you enjoy it.
AMERICAN SAMOAN: SAMOAN PALUSAMI
- (10 ounce) bags fresh spinach
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef, broken into pieces
- 2 (10 ounce) cans coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Make a layer of spinach leaves in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with some of the corned beef, then keep repeating layers of spinach and corned beef until you run out of spinach. Don’t worry about how full the dish is because the spinach will shrink as it cooks. Pour both cans of coconut milk over the dish, pressing the leaves down with a spoon. Cover tightly with a lid or aluminium foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until spinach has completely wilted and the sauce is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.